Background

Friday, January 10, 2014

Rehearsal Day

Our rehearsal day was a beautiful busy day.  Mike and I packed up the wedding stuff into friends and families cars and squeezed what we could into Mike's little two door.  I must have checked my packing list 2 dozen times that day before I was comfortable hitting the road.  Our wedding was about an hour out of town for us and most of our guests.  We headed out around noon with two important stops along the way.

Mike and I were both very close with our grandparents growing up.  Unfortunately both of these great men passed away before Mike and I ever meet.  There have been countless time along our relationship when I've thought to myself how much Mike would have liked my grandfather.  Honestly, the more we talk to each other about them, the more I'm convinced that our grandfathers were very similar men.  It was really important to us that we incorporate a visit to the cemetery into our wedding weekend so we stopped by on our way out of town.

We checked in at the hotel, got everyone organized and headed over to the Thorpewood to set up all of the DIY decorations we had put together for the wedding.  At some point leading up the wedding I decided I had to have tissue paper pom-poms at the ceremony site to add some color to the somewhat dark "pine cathedral" as it is called.  I made them all ahead of time but they needed to be opened and strung at Thorpewood.  I had no idea how much time it was going to take to open them all.  We literally set everything else up within 10 minutes and had 10 different people opening tissue pom-poms for another 50 minutes.  In the end it came together beautifully but I honestly think that was the most stressful part for me.

For Mike, I'm certain that the flat tire he got when arriving at Thorpewood.  Mike's car has huge tires and a spare doesn't fit in his trunk.  So while I was dealing with everything else, Mike was on the phone with insurance companies and a local dealership trying to get his car towed and fixed.  Did I mention that Thorpewood is an amazing venue in the middle of nowhere?  No cell service made Mike's ordeal that much more fun!

In the end, everyone got there, everything was set up and car's were towed away.  We ran through our wedding ceremony relatively quickly and then headed to a local restaurant for our rehearsal dinner.  We had an amazing private room and the food was out of this world.  Obviously the wedding day with all of our friends and family was amazing but the rehearsal dinner holds a special place in my heart too.  I was so nice to get our best friends and immediate family together and truly be able to thank them for everything they had done for our wedding, and more importantly for everything they had done for us throughout our lives.  Mike and I gave a few words of thanks that night and while I don't remember everything we said, I do remember the most important part.  Without the people in that room, Mike and I would not have become the people we are today and in all likelihood would not have been standing together getting ready to walk down the isle together. 

We finished up dinner and went to our respective hotel rooms.  Well, I locked myself out of my room but Abby, Brittany and Kathleen had no problem kicking off my last night as a single women in the hallway of the hotel.  The four of us stayed up for a while, drinking wine and just talking.  Everything about the day was memorable and special for me.  The only thing I regret is not taking some pictures that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment