Background

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

November 12th

I really had great intentions of documenting this pregnancy here on the blog to help me remember all the little and big moments.  I don't remember a ton from my pregnancy with Garrett but I did have a pregnancy book where I could write a little about how I was feeling, what I was wearing, etc every few days.  But those intentions clearly never came to fruition because here I am with only 10 weeks to go and not a single blog post.  So I'm going to do what I can to go back and document some of the important moments between now and when Baby G makes his or her arrival.

I had joked during our entire engagement that I wanted a honeymoon baby but that Mike was not quite on board with the idea.  With Garrett during 9 this year, we knew we didn't want to wait long but I think Mike was hoping for a few months of rest after the wedding craziness was over.  We talked on the plane ride down to St Lucia for our honeymoon and decided we would wait until the Spring to start trying.  But the universe had other plans.

We got back from our honeymoon at the end of October and spent the first few weeks just catching back up on life after all the wedding hoopla.  One morning I was coming out of the laundry room with a basket of clothes and I didn't quite clear the door frame which jammed the basket into my abdomen.  My mind instantly went to "Oh, well that could be bad if I was pregnant".  I told Mike about this incident a few days later and told him how weird I thought it was that it was the first thought that flashed through my mind.  We joked for a few days about me being pregnant but I just kept thinking there might be something to it.  I woke up on a Sunday morning and decided to check my calendar to see when my last menstrual cycle had been.  Luckily I had been writing them down the last few months because I knew we would be trying within the next year.  I slowly counted on my calendar about 3 times before I turned to Mike and said "Umm, my period was supposed to start yesterday."  I've never been incredibly regular so Mike and I decided to wait a little while before we took a test.  Mike suggested a week and for some reason I thought I could wait that long.  I honestly think that I knew at that point but was still in  complete denial.

Tuesday night, November 12th, we had Garrett's end of soccer party with his team where another mom offered me a glass of the bottle of wine she bought.  I took a glass, reasoning that there was no way we had gotten pregnant that easily without even trying.  When I got home that night I told Mike I felt really guilty about the wine and that I just had to know NOW.  So I ran out and picked up a few tests and some dinner for Mike.  He ate his dinner while I went up to the bathroom to take the test.  My intention really was to not look at the test until Mike and I could look at it together but when I picked it up off of the counter to take it down to Mike, there were already two very distinct lines on the test.  I walked downstairs trying to conceal my big smile and sat the test down on the table in front of Mike.  He took one look at the test, picked up the instructions, looked back at me and said "well, I guess we're doing this huh?"  The look on his face is definitely one I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment