Background

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Day 22

Day 22 was Thanksgiving and I am thankful for my amazing family and our wonderful traditions that circle around this holiday.  Thanksgiving was my grandmother's favorite holiday.  She spent the entire day on Wednesday baking pies and preparing for the big day.  Thursday morning she rose long before the sun to get the turkey in the oven and she was cooking up a storm when everyone arrived Thursday morning.  My family eats Thanksgiving "dinner" early, usually aiming to have all of the food on the table by 1.  By 2 o'clock, my grandmother was usually over the whole scene and would disappear into her bedroom for an afternoon nap. She thought she was being slick but as I got older I realized that sneaking away for a nap had more to do with getting away from the chaos of daughters, son-in-laws and grandchildren then it did with lack of sleep. 


This was the second Thanksgiving without my grandmother and although she hadn't run the show in a handful of years because of her dementia, I'm not sure I'll ever get use to her not physically being there.  It will always be the time of year that my family thinks and talks about her the most and even with her gone it still remains a day filled with too much food and just the right amount of family.


It's been at least 3 years since we've all been together at Thanksgiving


No comments:

Post a Comment