Background

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Spring Treaser

This weekend was a nice reminder that Spring really is right around the corner.  We had two beautiful days and although we didn't spend all weekend outside, we did get a good bit of Vitamin D into our system.  I also got to test out a few recipes for things I've been wanting to make at home instead of buying at the store. It really is frustrating how many simple things we buy at the grocery store with ingredient lists far longer than what is necessary.  The organic yogurt we buy at the grocery store?  Fish bones are listed on the list of ingredients.  Really Wegman's?

So we started out the weekend with a quick dinner and then movie and popcorn night.  The boys watched Wreck it Ralph while I made homemade yogurt and granola.  This was my second attempt at yogurt after hearing how easy it was.  The first batch turned out good but it was more of a drinkable yogurt and we were looking for a nice solid yogurt that Garrett can take in his school lunch.  My second attempt was a complete success and all it really involved was getting the milk a bit hotter on the stove.  I stored them in mason jars and when the batch was done, I could turn the jar on it's side and the yogurt stayed in place.

The granola recipe was the one posted on Soulemama.  We were attempting to replicate Michelle's Granola which is the first granola I've gotten Garrett to actually eat.  While this one was good, it wasn't really sweet enough for our taste.  When we used Michelle's Granola, it was sweet enough that we didn't need any other sweetener in the yogurt.  But this was still good and probably a great granola for families who don't like their granola very sweet. 


Next up on my list of things to make was English muffins.  Since we eat eggs most mornings for breakfast, I'm constantly looking for ways to change them up.  After eating a 3 egg omelet for almost the entire school year this year, Garrett has decided that he is completely done with omelets.  In order to keep him from begging for the sugary cereal at the store, I've started making him egg sandwiches on English muffins.  The ingredient list is a little better than some of the store bought breads with closer to 15 ingredients rather than 30 but still way more than what I think is necessary   So I found an easy, no knead English muffin recipe that turned out fantastic.  There was some rising in between but I was able to make 15 English muffins Sunday morning while doing lots of other chores during the process.


Then Sunday afternoon Garrett and I headed off to his first lacrosse practice.  I would be lying if I said I didn't tear up seeing him all suited up playing catch with Mike in the front yard. I kept staring at him completely covered in pads and helmets and remembering watching him toddle around when he was first learning to walk.  I felt like he needed a helmet and pad then.  

(Don't worry, he didn't wear his chucks to practice)




No comments:

Post a Comment