Background

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Crazy Chicken Lady

Mike and I have been discussing getting backyard chickens since late last spring.  It started almost as a joke because I never thought he would really go for it.



My decision to start eating more "whole" foods and treat mother nature a little nicer began when Garrett was born.  With each year that passed, I slowly started making more decisions that felt right for my small family of two.  When Mike came into the picture 4 years later, we weren't exactly on the same page when it came to the way we ate or my interest in going back to the basics.  One of the things that I loved so much about him from the very beginning was the way he embrassed these things that were so important to me.  He started recyling more at his house, bringing over less processed snacks or picking up the latest green gadget he stumbled on at the store.  I have no doubt that those first few months it was more about trying to impress me (which clearly worked) but over time some of these things have become important to him as well.  But there are times when he looks at me and I honestly think he thinks I'm slightly crazy.  And I was sure when I called him up at work and said "what do you think about getting some chickens?" a part of him wished he had ran for the hills when he had the chance. But here we are a year later, chicken owners.

We did our research and decided on 2 Buff Orphingtons (yellow, 2 Barred Rocks (black), and 2 Arucaunas (brown).  This picture was taken when we first picked them up about 2 1/2 weeks ago.  They are almost double the size at this point and are anxiously awaiting their new home outside as they are quickly outgrowing our bathtub.  We couldn't be happier and are really looking forward to eggs in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment