Background

Saturday, May 26, 2012

To my amazing seven year old

Garrett-
It's so hard for me to believe that you are actually turning 7 today.  Pretty soon you won't think my nicknames are funny anymore (except maybe stinky butt butt, potty humor never gets old).  You're already embarrassed to kiss me in front of the neighbors before you get on the bus.  But I still remember this day seven years ago as clear as if it were yesterday.  I remember being so ready to meet you and so terrified at the same time.   Then you were born and all of my self doubt disappeared.  For better or worse, it would be you and I against the world. 


And it has been.  Don't get me wrong, we've had an amazing support system through the years and we've fumbled though some of it.  But dude, what a team you and I have made over the years.  No one grows up hoping to get pregnant before they graduate college and it will always be my wish that you chose an easier road to parenthood then the one I took.  That doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't change things for all of the money in the world.  You are truly the best, most beautiful things I ever could have done with my life.


So here we are, 7 years later.  I can't believe how much you've grown up.  Especially this week.  It's like something in your bones has told you that you're almost 7 (or maybe that's the countdown you've been doing every morning for 2 weeks).  Independence is not always you're strong point.  We battle nightly about taking a shower and brushing your teeth. You want help washing, you want help drying and you want help brushing when we both know you are grown up enough to do it on your own.  Wednesday night, I sent you up to the shower and went back to my knitting.  Some time later you came downstairs beaming.  You had washed yourself, dried yourself AND brushed your teeth without a single reminder!  I couldn't have been prouder at that moment and it was so evident that you were very proud of yourself too. 


You are growing.  You are learning to do things for yourself.  You are asking complex, thoughtful questions all of the time.  You are brilliant and pick things up so quickly.  You are kind even when no one is looking.  (You might not realize it but I overheard you at cub scouts tell one scout that you were all friends and invite someone who was being left out to play.)  You are amazing and I couldn't image my life without you teaching me every single day to be a better person.  I love you Garrett Charles, Happy 7th Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment