Background

Friday, May 11, 2012

Sew Basic

I have never been a crafty person, I can't draw and I don't think the word creative has ever been used to describe me.  But I really love the idea of being able to make things, especially things that we need.   I decided a few years ago I wanted to learn to knit but after a few failed attempts at teaching myself, I put that idea on the shelf for a while.  Fast forward to last summer when I finally decided to take a lesson at Lovely Yarn in Hamden.  I am by no means an expert but I completed two simple, less than perfect scarfs this year.  I have plans to branch out and attempt a baby blanket for a friend who is expecting in the fall but between my love for procrastination and the warm weather, I just can't get into the idea of knitting right now.


Sewing?  Well that feels way more spring-like to me.  Not that I would know since I've never done it but something inside me tells me that knitting is for cold months and sewing is for warm months.  This is probably the reason that the sewing machine my mom got me for Christmas was still sitting in it's box in the room that is supposed to be my "craft" room.  So I spent some time last night clearing out a room that has been the dumping ground for things we don't know what to do with since we bought our house.  To call the room a work in progress would be the understatement of the year but I have the desk cleared, the machine set up and I even managed to thread it and sew a few very uneven stitches in one of Mike's old t-shirts.  I love that I can sit in my craft room and sew while Garrett plays just outside my door.

I think a few more nights of practicing and then I will be ready for some type of beginner project.  Napkins maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment