Background

Monday, May 28, 2012

Garden Report- or lack thereof

I had big plans this year for our garden.  All winter I planned to move the garden up the hill and make it 5 times the size.  Since time and money were limited, like they always are, I decided to join a local CSA this year and use my garden to supplement the things I can never get enough of.  I still managed to place a larger than needed order from High Mowing Organic Seed Co.  Last year I started most seeds indoors in late February but this year I didn't start until late March and I feel so far behind.  The seedlings I started then never really took.  Probably for lack of care on my part.  Between the last minute decision that chicks were in fact on the to do list this spring and not next and the shortage of baseball coaches that left Mike and I fumbling our way through little league coaching, the started seeds got very little attention.  I did manage to get some peas in the ground in early April and then around 2 weeks ago I went straight to the soil with the rest of my seeds. 


Unfortunately, I was out of markers that day and although I was convinced at the time I would be able to remember, I have almost no idea what is planted where.  Thankfully now that a few weeks have gone by, I have a few seedlings emerging which I'm doing my best to identify.  I know where my peas, lettuce, onion, and spices are.  I'm fairly certain I've figure out the tomatoes. A wise neighbor has assured me these are my beans. 


I know that one of these is melons and the other is cucumber. 




I'd really like to space my crop out with successive planting which means this weekend is time to put more seeds in the ground.  It looks like I will end up with some unplanned, unconventional companion planing this season.  It's really all very discouraging at this point in the game but I'm sure in a few weeks, things will start to come together.  Mother nature always seems to have a way of handling these types of things.

2 comments:

  1. Everything always looks so spindly in May. I don't really like my garden until the end of June, then by mid-July I'm fighting to keep it from being burnt to a crisp. But that month or so of prettiness is awfully nice to remember in January!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, plant merigolds (sp?) next to your tomato plants. it will keep the bugs away from them! Carla

    ReplyDelete